Virginia Truck Accident Lawyers
Accidents involving 18-wheelers can cause serious injuries or may even be deadly to those involved in them. Roadway accidents of any kind are dangerous but tractor-trailer accidents can be even more so due to factors like the size and weight of the vehicles involved.
If you have been involved in an accident with a commercial truck of any kind, you may have the right to bring a lawsuit. A Virginia 18-wheeler accident lawyer can help you bring a legal claim for damages.
The success of your case can depend on the skill and experience of your legal team. The Smith Law Center, located in Hampton, Virginia, has been handling personal injury claims, including truck accident lawsuits, since 1949. Contact a Virginia truck accident attorney online or by calling (757) 244-7000. Our helpful associates can evaluate your claim and help you take the first steps in the legal process.
Damages for Virginia Truck Accidents
In Virginia, you may be able to recover damages in a lawsuit involving an 18-wheeler or commercial truck accident. Damages refer to the compensation that may be awarded to a victim to cover losses resulting from the accident. Damages are either considered economic damages or non-economic damages.
The specific types of damages available can vary based on the circumstances of the case, the severity of injuries, and other factors. It is important to consult with an experienced truck accident attorney before pursuing legal action.
Generally, damages available in a truck accident lawsuit include:
- Medical expenses: Injuries sustained in commercial truck accidents may be severe. You may need to recover damages for past and future medical treatments, surgeries, rehabilitation, and other healthcare costs related to injuries caused by the truck accident.
- Lost wages and loss of earning potential: If the injuries significantly impact your ability to earn income in the future, compensation may be awarded for the loss of earning capacity. You may also be able to recover for income lost due to the inability to work during recovery.
- Property damages: You may be able to recover the cost of repairing or replacing the damaged vehicle and any other property that was damaged or destroyed in the truck accident.
- Pain and suffering or emotional distress: These are known as non-economic damages. They are meant to compensate for the physical and emotional pain, suffering, and inconvenience caused by the truck accident and resulting injuries. Damages for psychological impact, such as anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), resulting from the truck accident may be available to you.
- Wrongful death: When a person dies as a result of a truck accident, the surviving family members may have the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit. A wrongful death lawsuit can help you recover damages for end-of-life care, burial costs, and loss of financial support.
Note that the specifics of damages and legal procedures can vary. Insurance coverage and policy limits of the trucking company may impact the amount of compensation that can be recovered. Consulting with a personal injury attorney experienced in Virginia law is crucial to understanding your rights and pursuing a successful case.
Virginia Tractor Trailer Accident Attorneys
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, over a one-year period, almost 5,000 people were killed in accidents involving large trucks. Those who are in the passenger vehicle are more likely to be seriously injured or killed. Injuries caused by 18-wheeler accidents can be very severe and may include:
A knowledgeable and experienced truck accident lawyer in Virginia can help you build a strong case, navigate any legal complexities, and advocate for your best interests. If you have sustained these injuries or any other, you may want to consider hiring a lawyer to pursue a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf.
A truck accident lawyer can help you by:
- Determining liability: A lawyer can help identify and establish liability by examining factors such as driver negligence, trucking company negligence, maintenance issues, and any other contributing factors.
- Understanding Virginia laws and regulations: An experienced Virginia attorney will have a deep understanding of Virginia state laws and regulations relevant to truck accidents, as well as federal regulations governing the trucking industry. This is critical in building a solid legal case.
- Calculating damages: Calculating damages can be difficult. Your attorney will evaluate the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering, and determine how much your case is worth.
- Handling complex truck accident issues: Laws surrounding truck lawsuits can be complicated. An attorney can address the legal issues specific to truck accidents, such as issues related to truck driver hours of service, truck maintenance, compliance with safety regulations, and potential corporate liability of the trucking company.
- Represent you in court: If your case goes to trial, your lawyer will represent you in court, presenting evidence, cross-examining witnesses, and making legal arguments to support your claim.
A truck accident lawyer can provide crucial assistance in various ways to help you navigate the legal process and seek fair compensation for your injuries and damages. If you are considering legal action after a truck accident, consult with an attorney who is experienced in personal injury and truck accident cases.
Contact an Experienced Virginia Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer
The attorneys at The Smith Law Center have been pursuing justice for our clients since 1949. Our team comes with decades of experience and the resources necessary to give your case the best chance of success.
Why Hire The Smith Law Center
The attorneys at The Smith Law Center are responsible for over $1 billion dollars of recoveries across many areas of personal injury lawsuits–including semi-truck accidents. Such victories include a record $10 million dollar jury award to a woman who sustained a serious head injury in a truck accident.
Contact The Smith Law Center online or by calling our offices at (757) 244-7000. Semi-truck litigation can become complicated very quickly. We are standing by to listen to you and to help guide you through the legal process.
When should I file my Virginia truck accident lawsuit?
In Virginia, as in other jurisdictions, there is a time limit within which you must file a lawsuit for a truck accident. This time limit is known as the statute of limitations.
In Virginia, the statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits–including truck accidents–is two years from the date of the accident. Consult with a personal injury attorney to get the most up-to-date and accurate information about the statute of limitations, as laws can change.
What causes trucking accidents?
Trucking accidents can occur due to a variety of factors, often involving a combination of human error, mechanical failures, and environmental conditions. Mechanical failures in large trucks such as brake failure are quite common and can have devastating effects if such a failure occurs in a congested area.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has conducted several studies that demonstrate that driver error is usually the cause of accidents involving large trucks. Other factors that can cause car accidents in Virginia include:
- Bad weather conditions (including ice, snow, and fog)
- Dangerous road conditions
- Commercial truck driver fatigue
- Drunk drivers or impaired drivers
Understanding and addressing these factors are essential for improving road safety and reducing the incidence of trucking accidents. Contact an experienced attorney who can evaluate the unique facts and circumstances of your case and help you begin the legal process.
What is my Virginia truck accident lawsuit worth?
There is no set dollar amount that your case is worth. Determining the potential value of a truck accident lawsuit in Virginia involves various factors, and is a complex process that often requires the expertise of a personal injury attorney.
The value of a lawsuit can depend on the specific circumstances of the case, the extent of injuries, the impact on the victim’s life, and other factors. An experienced truck accident attorney will be able to properly evaluate your case and calculate damages.
What should I do after a truck accident?
If you have been involved in a truck accident, it’s important to take certain steps to protect your well-being and preserve evidence for any potential legal claims. First and foremost, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Your health is important and even if you don’t think you have been injured it is a good idea to be checked by a medical professional.
Some car accident injuries, like traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), may not become apparent until later. This is known as delayed symptom onset. Once you have been cleared by a medical professional, you may want to consider contacting an experienced truck accident attorney to learn more about what your legal options for recovery might be.
Proudly Serving Virginia Residents for Over 70 Years
SPEAK TO US NOW FOR FREE
Your legal questions answered, completely free of charge.
DELIVERING RESULTS SINCE 1949
We are one of Virginia’s largest and most successful law firms.
IF WE DON’T WIN, YOU DON’T PAY
There are absolutely no out-of-pocket fees for filing a claim.